Yes, Pomeranians can eat bread as it’s not toxic for them. But you need to be careful about the choice of bread. The plain bread with no added ingredients is safe; however, it won’t offer any nutritional value to them like peanut butter. Moderation is the key while sharing the sandwich with them. You can also include it in one of their meal if they don’t have any allergies to the bread ingredients. It’s considered safe, especially when your dog is regularly on a proper diet and exercise.
Some toxic types of bread contain extra ingredients such as nuts, chocolate chips, raisins, onions, and garlic. So always double-check the ingredients before offering. These are full of carbohydrates and can contribute to weight gain. Be sure to avoid the bread if your dog has a wheat allergy. Although the bread does not offer nutritional value, it has some other benefits, including the following.
Benefits of Eating Bread for Pomeranians
Soothes Upset Stomach
A small amount of white bread is very beneficial for dogs having an upset stomach. It contains high starch content, which absorbs the gastric acids and relieves pain and discomfort.
If your dog has any stomach upset symptoms, then one-quarter of the standard slice is enough. But make sure to consult with your vet for guidance on the exact portion size.
Protect the esophagus from foreign objects
Bread helps to pass the foreign objects like sharp bits of bones and other ingestible objects. After that, these objects easily pass through the digestive tract. It’s not true for all foreign objects, including the shards of bones, but it helps to digest the small pieces.
The fiber in the bread helps the digestive tract to keep everything moving by binding with the water. It adds bulk to the stool and makes it easier to pass.
IMPORTANT POINTS TO KEEP IN MIND
Most bread types are safe for dogs, but it depends upon the ingredients, toppings, and form. Dog’s bodies need high protein, low fat and carbs, and very few grains. Let’s see some important points to remember while feeding bread to them.
- The excess carbs stored in the dog’s bodies can cause them to gain weight. So if you are feeding a properly balanced diet to your Pomeranian, you don’t need to feed them bread as a treat or as a regular diet.
- Try to avoid wheat bread as it contains gluten. Although it’s a healthier option for your dog, but many dogs are allergic to wheat.
- Eating too much bread can be responsible for weight gain, which leads to obesity, heart disease, high blood pressure, and joint pain.
- The bread contains sugar and adheres to the teeth and gums, causing havoc. It attracts bacteria to the teeth and causes periodontal disease in some worst cases.
- Don’t offer the bread dough, bread with garlic and onions, banana bread, and raisin bread, as these can be harmful to them.
We can offer the bread to a Pomeranian, and they’ll love to eat it, but it doesn’t add any nutritional value. However, it has many other benefits, including soothing upset stomach, constipation relief, and making foreign objects digestible. But make sure your dog doesn’t have any medical condition as many individuals are allergic to bread.