Can Pomeranian Eat Chocolate? Dangers of Chocolate for Dogs

No, it’s one of the most important things Pomeranian owners need to know. Don’t give chocolate to your Pomeranian. It contains theobromine, which is toxic for dogs. This toxic agent is found in most types of chocolate, including the white, dark, and milk varieties. Even a small chip of chocolate can cause the dog to vomit and have diarrhea.

Can Pomeranian Eat Chocolate

In worst cases, it can lead them to abnormal heartbeat, seizures, and tremors. The level of chocolate toxicity depends upon the type of chocolate. The most toxic chocolates are baker’s chocolate and cocoa, then dark chocolate, milk chocolate, and white chocolate. Let’s see some potential dangers of eating chocolate.

Stomach upset

Chocolate is toxic to PomeranianA small amount of chocolate can cause your dog an upset stomach which can lead to vomiting and diarrhea. Initially, the dog can develop abdominal pain and vomiting, which may contain blood. But in most cases, it contains substantial amounts of chocolate.


This usually happens when dogs eat a large amount of chocolate. Many dogs face muscle tremors and seizures due to the large quantity of theobromine. The exact situation varies depending upon the size of the dogs. The smaller dogs who consume the chocolates are more prone to serious issues.


The tremors effect can begin within a short time, so immediate treatment is required. There are no specific antidotes for theobromine poisoning in dogs. The clinical signs depend upon the amount and type of chocolate ingested.

Irregular heart rate

The chemicals found in the chocolate can cause the dog’s heart rate to rise up to twice its normal rate. Yes, they can handle some amount of the chocolate, but it depends on its amount and type. In more serious cases, it can lead your dog to a heart attack.

What do you need to do if your dog accidentally eats chocolate?

If your dog accidentally eats the chocolate, don’t wait to see if they develop any sign of toxicity or not. Take him to your veterinarian immediately. There are big chances that your dog will recover without any issue. Unfortunately, if the veterinarian is not available, call your local emergency veterinary clinic or the pet poison hotline. Take a picture of chocolate packaging, and let them know about the approximate time when your dog eats it. Treatment may differ depending upon the time your dog eats the chocolate.

If your dog ate the chocolate two hours ago, the veterinarian may induce vomiting and give a dose of activated charcoal. It removes the toxins from their body without absorbing them into the bloodstream. But for the more serious cases, the veterinarian is required to provide supplemental treatment such as medications or IV fluids.

Quick Remedy:

If your dog accidentally eats the chocolate, take a three percent solution of the Hydrogen Peroxide and put 1ml for every pound of bodyweight into dog food to induce vomiting.

* This recommendation is general. Before doing anything consult your vet on phone or take your dog immediately to the nearest vet. Don’t do anything if you have no idea about the things you are about to do.


Don’t give chocolate to your Pomeranian as they contain many toxic ingredients. These toxic ingredients can lead your dog to serious health issues, including stomach upset, seizures, tremors, and irregular heart rate.

Similar Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *