Yes, you and your Pomeranian can share a snack of Popcorn. It contains many nutrients, including magnesium, phosphorous, zinc, along with a trace amount of vitamins and fiber. Many pets love this low-calorie food, which makes it a great treat for them. Many veterinarians recommend replacing them with high-calorie treats, especially if you want to lose your dog’s weight.
But don’t give them excess Popcorn as they can cause allergic reactions and an upset stomach. Popcorn can cause your dog one of the most common food allergies, just like dairy, wheat, and soy. Its negative reactions include the conditions like inflammation, diarrhea, or chronic gas. Let’s see some benefits of feeding the Popcorn to Pomeranians.
Healthy Light Treat
Popcorn is filled with a lot of healthy ingredients, including phenolic acid, fiber, and antioxidants. It’s one of the popular healthy treats because it’s fast and easy to prepare at home. They contain vitamins A, E, K, and B6, which prevent serious health conditions.
Help Nerves and Muscles
Sodium is a huge element of popcorns, which helps nerves and muscles to work properly. It’s also helpful in regulating blood pressure and blood volume. But the correct amount is important to maintain the overall good balance of body fluid. Your dog can develop salt intoxication by consuming too much sodium. Approximately an 8 pound Pomeranian needs 25mg sodium per day. So before feeding, make sure the popcorns don’t contain extra salt.
Important points to keep in mind
When you are feeding human food to Pomeranians, special care is important. It’s also applied in the case of popcorns. You have to make sure to serve them safely. Let’s see some important points you should keep in your mind.
- Don’t add butter or salt; the plain popcorns are healthy enough for them to eat. Make sure they are completely cooked. The air popped Popcorn is best for the Pomeranians.
- Don’t let your dog eat the full bag; the ideal amount is less than 10% of your dog’s daily calorie intake.
- Sometimes the piece of the hull stuck in the dog’s teeth just like you, which is very irritating for them. So the daily dental brushing and vet visits are necessary to handle the hulls.
- It’s difficult for the dogs to digest the hard and fibrous kernels, which can likely make the dog sick. So, avoid giving these hard pieces of corn to your Pomeranian. Always remove the hard-to-chew and thick pieces.
- Don’t leave your dog alone while feeding such small to chew foods, including the Popcorn.
Pomeranians can eat Popcorn. You can share a snack of Popcorn with your lovely friend. It contains many healthy nutrients, which are essential for the dog’s health. But moderation is the key to get the desired health benefits. Eating too much Popcorn can lead them to stomach upset.