Yes, while some of the fruits and vegetables are not good for the Pomeranians, you can feed the oranges in very small quantities. They are loaded with nutrients, potassium, and some fiber, which makes them a healthy snack. Only one or two segments of the orange are enough for a day. Orange contains vitamin C to benefit the dog’s immune system. A bit of orange could clear their stomach if they ate a piece of any toxic food.
Keep in mind that some individuals can’t ingest the vitamin C as their body is already producing it. Moreover, if your Pom is very active or anxious, feel free to serve him with some orange. Let’s talk about the three main benefits of oranges.
Prevents the flu
Oranges contain a sufficient amount of vitamin C, which prevents the dog’s body from catching the flu. It’s also helpful in faster wound healing. Orange is also known as ascorbic acid due to its unique ingredients.
Support cell function
Fiber plays an important role in supporting cell function. It can especially ease the process for the dogs having constipation issues. But it’s recommended to consult with your veterinarian before giving anything to your Pom.
Provide fluid balance
Your Pomeranian may be facing vomiting or diarrhea due to potassium deficiency. Potassium is very important for the fluid balance in the body, enzymes function, muscles, and nerves. It’s also okay even when your dog is sick and has dehydration issues.
No Fat or Cholesterol
Oranges don’t contain fat and cholesterol compared to many other dog foods, which is good. They have a relatively moderate amount of dietary fiber, making them a perfect food.
Important points to remember
Orange is one of the most popular and healthiest fruit, but it’s doesn’t mean that you can feed it without any care. You need to remember the following important points while feeding your dog, especially the teacup size.
- They contain citrus acid and can cause stomach upset. So take special care while feeding the oranges to small dog breeds like the Pomeranian. Feeding 1 or 2 slices generally don’t cause any harm.
- Orange contains much amount of sugar, which can be bad for dogs. Only 0.75 of a teaspoon of sugar is just fine.
- Don’t allow your Pomeranian to eat any of the orange peel. It’s richer in citrus oil than the fruit inside. Pomeranians are usually attracted to the peel smell, so make sure to dispose of it properly.
- Just a bit is only valid for the oranges; it does not hold for the other fruits like grapes and raisins.
- Orange juice is non-toxic to Pomeranians, but you should give it as a treat. It’s high in sugar and very acidic.
- You can offer the orange to Puppy Pomeranian, but they are more prone to GI upset than the adult dogs. So, it’s recommended only to provide a minimal amount of orange to puppies.
- Make sure to remove the seeds before feeding the slices.
Pomeranians can eat Oranges, but you need to know that they contain a high amount of citric acid. So, only 1 or 2 slices are enough. Whenever you are serving your dog with orange, make sure to remove the peel and seeds and dispose of them properly. Pomeranians can smell the Peels, which are very acidic for them.